How it all started...
The First Baptist Church of Hamburg enjoys a rich history! Dating all the way back to 1810, our church has seen and experienced some wonderful things. Though every person who has been a part of our 200+ years of history has contributed to it to make it what it is today, none of it would be possible without the Lord Jesus Christ. He alone deserves all the praise! He is the foundation, the Chief Cornerstone, the Head, and the Purchaser of the Church. All praise goes to Him.
- 1804 - In 1804, a small group of German Believers settled here in Hamburg. Before long, the people realized they needed a local, Bible-believing Church. The spiritually hungry people prayed and planned. Mr. Ezekiel Smith offered his barn as the temporary meeting place. They had their official organizational service in the summer of 1810. The charter members include Dean Ezekiel Smith and his wife, Deacon Mills, John Wlch, Dr. March and his wife, Joesph Tubbs, Jesse Miller, and Submit Newton.
- 1810 - The newly formed church called their first pastor, Pastor Clark Carr, in the fall of 1810. He arrived with his wife and three children in July 1811. Not long after that, the conflict of the War of 1812 made its way to Buffalo which was burned in December 1813. When that news reached Hamburg, many residents from Hamburg temporarily left until the danger was over.
- 1834 - Construction for a permanent house of worship began in 1834. Having no modern tools, all construction was done by hand and took two years to complete. The new building was dedicated June 6, 1836. We installed a bell in 1855, which first rang on May 27 of that year.
- 1888 - There have been many other building projects through the years. Parsonages were bought, built, moved, and remodeled to accommodate project in 1888 and an extensive addition project in 1923 to build additional classroom space. Another remodeling took place in 1952. The brick education building, where our main auditorium is currently located, was built and dedicated in 1962. Though there have been many additions and remodeling projects, the building we call “The Chapel” still stands where it was originally built.
- 1893 - Our church has been instrumental in starting several churches throughout its history. Shortly after its inception, we started a church in East Aurora and another in Eden. First Baptist Church of Eden is still ministering to its community today. Later in 1893, we started Armor Baptist Church.
To God be the Glory
Ultimately, our wonderful history is rooted in the work of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross and His glorious victory over the grave. Our limitless future is bright as we look ahead to the day when the bride of Christ will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). With thankfulness to God, we rejoice for His provision of a godly heritage that is God-glorifying, Christ-centered, Spirit-led and Biblicially-based. And as we move ahead into our glorious future, we desire to continue that godly heritage by serving our gracious Savior, who is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).